Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spring Break: See ya, Sydney!

Life is such a whirlwind here! I left off with Brisbane and Fraser, so let's start there. It was my very first weekend trip (other than a day trip to Hunter Valley), and I was VERY pleased with how little time you actually need at the airport! While I'm slightly sketched out by the fact that no one even checked my ID, security took 2 minutes, and then I was on the plane!

We had an amazing day in Brisbane. We had very little expectations, since we were only flying there as it was our cheapest option for the Fraser Island tour. We got there at 7am, so we were exhausted, but we made the best of it. We walked around for hours just checking out restaurants and cute little boutiques, and went to THE BEST art gallery I have ever been to, the Gallery of Modern Art. We went to a nice birthday dinner for one of my friends, which was a great way to end our one day tour-de-Brisbane.

The next morning we got picked up for Fraser Island. It was certainly an experience! We traveled in a rugged 4WD Jeep the whole time, just running all around the island to see fresh water lakes, sand dunes, shipwrecks, and all of the Fraser hotspots. It was by no means a relaxing vacation, but it was such a cool trip.

After Brisbane and Fraser, I spent one weekend in Sydney, and then went on another trip! This past weekend my friend Bryn (a fellow Mountain Hawk!) and I flew to the Gold Coast to see Byron Bay and Surfers Paradise. It rained 3/4 days, but we still had such a great time. Byron Bay is officially my new favorite beach, well, next to Coogee. It's a great little hippie beach town with so many amazing stores. Surfers Paradise was a lot more touristy - think Miami - with tall hotel buildings, a lot of shopping, and what looked like a good beach. It was a great weekend getaway, and we felt as if we spent the perfect amount of time in each place.

The past two weeks I've had a lot of assignments due i.e. papers, take home exams, tests, etc. But now, all that hard work has paid off because I am OFF TO THAILAND TOMORROW! Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment